Sunderland have completed the signing of midfielder Alfred N'Diaye from Turkish club Bursaspor for an undisclosed fee after completing his medical and agreeing personal terms.
The 22-year-old can play in a defensive midfield role or at centre-back and arrived at Wearside after moving to Turkey from Ligue 1 side Nancy last year for a fee reported to be in the region of £3m.
N'Diaye, a France Under-21 international, signed a three-and-a-half year deal at the Stadium of Light to become Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill's first January signing for the struggling Black Cats.
O'Neill said: "Alfred is a strong, powerful young player and as such can offer us more strength in depth.
"He will give us options and I'm delighted that we have been able to bring him to the club."
Soccer4life present you Ten things you need to know about Sunderland's New Signing Alfred N'Diaye
1. Alfred is a French footballer who plays for the French Under- 21 side.
2. He plays either as a defender or a midfielder and he plays it comfortably well.
3. Alfred began his career with Us Vandœuvre in Vandœuvre-lès-Nancy. Then moved to Nancy at the age of 14.
4 It took N'Diaye 3 years to make his debut in the squad. Which he finally made during the 2007-2008 season when he came on as a half time substitute.
5. N' Diaye made just 1 apperance for Nancy for the entire 2007/2008 season.
6. N'Diaye joined Bursapor on july 3rd 2011 for £3 million from Nancy.
7. N'diaye has played for all the french national youth sides beginning from the Under 16 to the Under 21.
8. N'Diaye served as the vice captian of the France under 19 squad.
9. He was part of the French team that participated in the 2007 FIFA under 17 World cup.
10. He was also part of the Under 19 squad that reached the semi- finals of the 2009 UEFA European Under 19 Football Championship where they were knocked out by England.